Srezia

In a post - apocalyptic world, people struggle to survive. Here is their story.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Unmarked Graves

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chroma

PostSubject: Unmarked Graves   Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:12 pm

The cold, black wind grew stronger as one came close to the graveyard without raising attention to himself. He looked around carefully, examining the area before entering it. The trees here were more crooked than before, the winds had twisted their branches amongst each other. Any beings in the area might have seen his red cloak, the only thing that would have given him away besides the smell of blood. Darrien, he had found the graves he had traveled a great distance to see. His arm was still bleeding slightly and the bruising pattern on his body had grown since the night prior. The forest was dark though it was midday but he entered the graveyard, silent and weary, and knelt before each grave to examine it.

Last edited by Chroma on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Desaryah

PostSubject: Re: Unmarked Graves   Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:45 pm

The graveyard was eerily silent, as if everything there was as completely devoid of life as the hundreds of thousands of corpses under the cold, barren soil. The few graves that had survived were badly marred and cracked, and few of those who claimed this land as their final resting place were lucky enough to have any sort of marker left. Most of the remaining tombstones were for the mass graves, sometimes listing names but most often simply stating the quantity of the bodies which were thrown in. Some of the corpses weren't even entirely buried, although anything remaining above-ground had rotted and decomposed into cracked, dusty, ashen bones, as they were left at the mercy of time and the elements.

Only someone with knowledge of where a certain grave was at might have any luck at navigating the massive rows of markers and tombstones that were strewn about as far as the eye could see. Only a few twisted trees, cracked markers, ruined monuments, raised burial mounds, and the scattered remains of bones and corpses upon the thick, dark soil made up this dead and destitute place. Darrien would seem to be alone amongst the graves with nothing but hopelessness to guide him through the graveyard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chroma

PostSubject: Re: Unmarked Graves   Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Darrien stood from the first grave and navigated his way through the mass graves, brushing across some bones without noticing. He did not seem disoriented but as if he had been here before and the place was very familiar to him. He closed his eyes and reached out and touched the graves as he passed by, counting the plots as he went. He slowed his step and turned, with his eyes still closed, walked down a row of graves until he came to a place that seemed to have never been touched. A small beam of light fell down upon this spot, and a tiny patch of grass grew, green, with a small yellow flower blooming. He knelt here, his eyes still closed, imagining the place before the Cataclysm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Desaryah

PostSubject: Re: Unmarked Graves   Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:06 pm

This small spot, with its tiny patch of grass and little yellow flower, seemed like the only sign of life in the entire graveyard. A chilling gust of wind blew, and then the air grew silent again. Darrien seemed entirely alone...until suddenly, a tiny, wavering little voice jolted forth behind him from the perfect silence.

"Hi."

The innocent voice was that of a little girl was standing behind him, only a few inches away from him, as if she had just appeared. She looked to be no older than ten or twelve, and she wore a dingy, tattered, dirty white summer-dress. Her face was smeared with ashes, and her hair was messy and hung down in straight, jet-black strands to her shoulders. She smiled shyly, as if Darrien was a long-lost friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chroma

PostSubject: Re: Unmarked Graves   Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Darrien looked over his shoulder and saw the young girl standing behind him. He looked at her for a moment, believing that she was a ghost.

"What is a girl like you doing and a dangerous place such as this?" After he spoke he turned back and dug away a little of the grass to reveal a small stone with a ring embedded in it. The ring matched the one he wore around his neck on a chain, keeping it close to his heart.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Desaryah

PostSubject: Re: Unmarked Graves   Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:25 pm

The girl tilted her head a little and smiled. "I live here! It's not dangerous." She took a few steps closer to him, peering over his shoulder curiously. "That's a pretty ring. That's your wife's ring, isn't it?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chroma

PostSubject: Re: Unmarked Graves   Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:34 pm

Darrien looked back at her again.

"Yes, its my wife's ring...I layed her here many years ago. You live in a graveyard amongst the dead? Not a place for a girl as young as you, you're about the same age...that my daughter would be today."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Desaryah

PostSubject: Re: Unmarked Graves   Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:39 pm

"Oh, I know that, but I like it here. And I bet your daughter is pretty, just like they said. I can't wait to meet her..."

The girl stood with her hands clasped in front of her politely and swayed back and forth on her feet.

"Are you here to talk to your wife? What's your name?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chroma

PostSubject: Re: Unmarked Graves   Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:48 pm

He looked down at the grave, he seemed emotionless and yet filled with so much sorrow that he could not bare the pain of it all.

"My name is Darrien. I'm not sure who you mean by they but they're right, she was beautiful, like you. You look like her."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Desaryah

PostSubject: Re: Unmarked Graves   Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:57 pm

"Thanks, mister. Sometimes she says that too..."

The little girl trailed off before Darrien would have a chance to ask what she meant. She seemed to understand his emotions, somehow.

"Why are you sad? You miss her, huh?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chroma

PostSubject: Re: Unmarked Graves   Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:59 pm

He stood up, towering over the little girl, and petted the girls hair.

"Of course I miss her, I miss them both. You hear her voice too?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Desaryah

PostSubject: Re: Unmarked Graves   Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:44 pm

The little girl was covered in the dust and ashes of the graveyard. It seemed like she hadn't left this place in years.

"Oh, yes, mister. I think she misses you too. Don't you still talk to her? I think she'd like it if you would talk to her."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chroma

PostSubject: Re: Unmarked Graves   Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:53 pm

"I do speak with her, though how I wish their ghosts would part from me, the constant whispers of their words not only from her but from all who died because of me." Darrien listened without a word as the wind howled passed, within those howls voices could be heard by anyone and most of which were condemning him for what he had become. their were so many whispers that no one could make out what they all were saying but one word prevailed and was heard. "Death" was that word.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unmarked Graves   

Back to top Go down

Unmarked Graves
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1